The Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, TEI of Crete was established in 1999 in the town of Sitia.
The actual education process began upon accepting its first students in September 2000.
The main goal of the Department, as depicted in its study programme, is to provide its students with all the necessary knowledge – basic and modern – that will allow them to have a pluralistic and effective approach on every nutrition issue the modern man has to deal with.
The study programme of the Department is designed to cover the science of Nutrition and Dietetics (Dietology) with regard to its applications to everyday life. It is a Science that focuses on:
- Covering the nutritional needs of a human during every stage of development (infancy, childhood, adolescence, adulthood, middle and third age), plus special needs that might occur (pregnancy, breastfeeding, sports training, military service, etc.)
- Protecting health from degenerative diseases
- Health recovery through dietetic support and treatment
Among the special features of the Department is practical training and:
- exercising Dietetics using up-to-date software
- using innovative methods of dietary assessment
- focusing on the Cretan/Mediterranean Diet
Our Department is equipped with two modern Laboratories which, among others, promote teaching and research in the following fields:
- Applied Dietetics
- Body Composition – Anthropometry – Spirometry
- Quality Control – Food Safety
- Food Production Methods
- Statistical Analysis of Nutritional and Dietary Data
According to the information provided by the Career Services Office (data from 2010), the career development of our 410 graduates is the following:
- 16% attend Master Programmes
- 70% work as Dieticians,
- 38% of whom have their own dietician office
Further information on the website of the Department